Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Quilts in progress

I stumbled upon this Film Strip Quilt awhile back and knew I had to make one.  I've been wanting to make a quilt for Lucas out of Adam's old ACUs and decided this would be perfect.  I know three little kids that don't get to spend nearly enough time with their dads; so I'm making each of them one of these quilts to cuddle with.  This may have been a little ambitious.  As it turns out, ACUs are not fun to sew with.  Ripping them apart is a nightmare and cutting them up isn't much better.  That's all behind me now though.  So here is a picture of what I have so far.

The start of L's quilt.  There will be a third row at the bottom but I'm waiting to have a picture printed on fabric for that one.


Hopefully I'll get these finished this weekend.  Now it's time to rebuild L's train tracks.

2 comments:

  1. Are the ACUs thick? I'm working on a quilt using old mens shirts and about half of them are a pain to work with. I think it's the polyester blend or something. The weight isn't the issue... it's that most of them won't hold starch and just stay floppy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It probably is the polyester blend. I'm sure that's a pain to sew. I wonder if you could stabilize them with something. The ACUs are super thick. And the way they're woven or whatever is really weird. It will be interesting to see how they quilt.

    ReplyDelete