Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Baby Rhino's first big quilt

Using google in a foreign country is an adventure.  Today google started on English.  Sometimes I get the US version of google and sometimes I get the Korean version.  Fun times.  After a few hours, google switched to Korean.  I tried for 45 minutes to switch it back to English and somehow it ended up on Portuguese.  At least I can read that a little better than Korean.  I finally got it switched back to English.  This whole ordeal lasted all day.  

I was all set to start quilting my New Wave quilt when I discovered I don't have any batting.  I'll have to go back to the market in search of batting sometime this week.  So I've decided I'll write about some of my favorite quilts I've made in the past that I never blogged about.  I need something to do with Lukie is at preschool.

Back in February of 2011 I decided Lucas needed a big quilt for his new big boy bed.  I had never made anything larger than a lap quilt so I was pretty nervous.  I decided to use this adorable Ann Kelle for Robert Kaufman collection.  I absolutely love it.  The sashing is Kona White.
I was busy.
Disappearing 9 patch
The quilt went together quite quickly.  And it just kept getting bigger and bigger. 
The back
For the back, I used up some of the remaining blocks from the front.  The majority of it is from All Star 2 by Riley Blake.  I absolutely love that line.  Lucas' favorite color is orange and that collection is a great combination of orange and blue. 
Basting in the playroom.  This thing is a monster.
I free motion quilted this bad boy.  This quilt is at least twice the size of any other quilt I'd done up to this point.  It took about 5.5 hours of quilting to complete.

I quilted "love you" - a first for quilting words

Love him.
There you have it.  My first bed-sized quilt.  It fits on a queen-sized bed but it resides on a full.  This quilt went together much faster than I thought it would.  I made the blocks and pieced the top over a week.  I was able to do all the quilting in one afternoon and bound it in one evening (not the same day as the quilting).  Since this quilt I have made three more bed-sized quilts and plan to make many more.

Lucas sleeps under this quilt every night.  This is still, and probably always will be, my favorite quilt.  So much love was put into it and it gets so much love in return.  When I first put it on his bed he would say, "Baby loves this quilt!"  He used to call himself "Baby"- so sweet.  Several times a month he will randomly tell me how much he loves it and that I made it for him because I love him.  And isn't that the way it should always be with a quilt?

No comments:

Post a Comment