Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

Seomun Market


One of my absolute favorite places in Daegu is the Seomun Market.  Anything you can imagine can be purchased there- purses, clothes, food, housewares, etc.  There is tons of fresh produce and seafood.  And there's a lot of dried fish, too.  I believe the dried fish are used for making broth for soups but that's something I probably won't try.  There are even dried bugs for medicinal purposes.  Another thing I probably won't try.  You can get a hanbok made and they are beautiful.
There tons of booths where you can have a hanbok made.  You can choose any color and any fabric you wish.  Amazing.
Not surprisingly though, my favorite part of the market is the fabric!  Daegu is a large textile manufacturing city and many of the fabrics I bought in the States are actually manufactured in Korea.  That excited me before we moved here and it has certainly lived up to my expectation.  The fabric at the market is pretty random but if you look hard you can find lots of good stuff. 
Lots of good stuff- about 10 yards worth of good stuff.
I can't control myself and usually leave with yards of random fabric.  Most recently I bought about 3.5 yards of fabric to possibly be the backing for a quilt I started a year and a half ago.  I made that quilt out of scraps and have been waiting for the right backing to come along.  Everything I found felt like I was settling.  That was the first quilt top I made just to make and use up scraps.  I didn't have a recipient in mind but I'm thinking I'll keep it.  My husband made me an awesome quilt rack and it needs more quilts!
Hello, Quilt Back!

I think I finally found my quilt back!  Now I just hope I can find time to finish it.  I was worried about being bored during the day while the Lukester was at preschool but as it turns out I've got plenty of stuff to do!

Every trip to the market has been very successful.  I realize I use the word "amazing" to describe a lot of things here but there's no better word for it.  I was really worried about moving to Korea because I'm a homebody and always liked being a quick plane ride away from home.  This is definitely out of my comfort zone but I'm grateful for the opportunity to explore this part of the world.

I can't go to the market without buying some adorable pajamas.



No comments:

Post a Comment