Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Donghwasa Temple

The weekend before last we went to Donghwasa Temple in Daegu with Tyler and Michelle.  Lucas absolutely loves them.  He's already planning what will be in their party bags when his birthday rolls around.

All of us near one of the smaller buildings.
Apparently we only like to visit temples when it's freezing cold and snowing.  When we left the house it wasn't too bad but within 20 minutes of driving the temperature dropped about 10 degrees and it started snowing.  But we were committed!  Afterall, we only have two years in this country.

That waterfall is frozen.  It was cold.



So much work goes into painting the temples.  They are just beautiful.  I can't even imagine the time and patience required to create something like this.  The pictures don't even do the colors justice.


It's very cool that all of the temples are still used.  There were many practicing Buddhists worshipping at this statue.

This Buddha statue is 17m tall.


This is another place we will definitely visit again when the weather is warmer.  Lucas always wants to be carried when it's cold so I carried him up and down flight after flight of stairs.  None of the stairs here are a standard size so it was killer for my legs.  Plus, I was constantly in fear that we'd both tumble down 30 or so stairs as my feet went to find a stair that just wasn't there.  I guess I always just assumed stairs were pretty standard but my experiences here prove otherwise. 

We spent several hours there but once I had to go to the bathroom, it was time to leave.

Common bathroom- game over
Many bathrooms here are basically holes in the ground but they flush.  You have to get your toilet paper before you go in the stall then hope & pray you don't pee all over yourself.  I certainly wasn't prepared for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment